6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

GERMANTOWN - The Germantown Fire Department responded to a fire just before 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 20, at W188 N10050 Maple Road.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and a result of the owner of the structure, who used coal from his wood-burning stove to fill gaps in a metal wall at the base of a cement pad; the coals had not properly cooled and had soon caught the inside wall on fire and spread throughout the building, which serves as a private sheet metal shop.

The 100-foot structure was 50 percent engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the scene. Firefighters attempted to put out the flames from the inside, but withdrew because the structure had light-weight trusses, so it was likely that the roof would collapse onto them.

The value of the building was listed at $750,000, with an approximate loss of the building and its contents at $450,000.

There were no injuries in the fire. Six other area fire departments assisted the Germantown Fire Department while it battled the flames.

Read or Share this story: http://www.mynorthwestnow.com/story/news/local/germantown/2017/02/21/germantown-fire-maple-road-leaves-450k-damages/98191884/