To this this day, the cream brick former Sixteen School stands at the exact center of the 6-mile-by-6-mile, former original layout of historic town of Lisbon, as set up in 1830s.
As settlers and land claimers flocked in, a series of schools sprung up to teach the children. It was not uncommon a have students as young as 5, and as old as 20 in these country schools of old Milwaukee County (Lisbon was once part of Milwaukee County before becoming part of Waukesha County).
Originally, Sixteen School was designated as No. 5 Lisbon District, but being on then-Sixteen Road (later Hillside Road) the school would be called either “Lisbon No. 5 School,” or the more well known "Sixteen School."
The original land space the school took its students from was sections (square mile numbered "sections" of the town of Lisbon) No. 15, No. 16, No. 21, No. 22, western half of section No. 14 and northwest half of section No. 23, a total of roughly 5 square miles.
Today, this area would stretch from Plainview on the north from near the Wisconsin Central Railroad west to Highway 164, then south to the Meissner farm with a western boundary of Mary Hill Road to Maple and Main and north. Then, meandering though old Sussex.
However, in later years, this Sussex Village section 23 was stripped from Sixteen School (Sussex Main Street School was a late comer to the original set up of schools in Lisbon, as it had the highest and last number, "Lisbon No. 10 School”).
Sixteen School was originally an 1844 log cabin, but then there was a binge of almost standard one-room schools built of Milwaukee cream bricks in the 1860s, including Sixteen School on present day Hillside and Good Hope Roads.
Sixteen School lasted exactly 100 years, 1844 to 1944, when the current teacher decided not to return for January 1945. At that time, there were just 14 students in the class, and they were mostly sent to the Sussex Main Street School.
Notable people in this class of 14 were Curtis Manke, Dick Manke and Dan Meissnerf, who all became longtime elected members of the Waukeha County Board, joining another former Sixteen School member on the board, Art Manke.
Curtis Manke became the leader of the county board for a series of years. He also had the honor of being a longtime chairman of the Waukesha County Historical Society.
About a year after it closed, the Sixteen School District was dissolved, and the cream brick school building and land were sold to Mr. and Mrs. Mark Schultz. The structure was remodeled into a home, and several families have lived in the property at this point.
As part of a July 1991 all-school reunion, a Waukesha County Historical Marker was placed on the school grounds to commemorate the 100-year existence of the school.
Some notable teachers of the one-room, one-teacher school were Thema Halquist Etzel (Weber), Irmagard Haass, Charles Will, Pearl Boots, John Stier and Dorothy Raymonds.
There is the unique story about teacher Dorothy Walholz. There was a farmer on Town Line Road (Whiskey Corners) named Ed McLaughlin, and he took a shine to Walholz. He got into the habit of buying a large container of ice cream and appearing at the school during a session, and offering the students all the ice cream they could eat, so he could spend some time with his girlfriend. They later got married and owned a large farm at the intersection of the North Western Railroad and Town Line Road (Whiskey Corners), and had children together.
In his spare time, Ed started the Willow Springs trailer home park, and became a director of the Farmers and Merchants bank of Menomonee Falls, Sussex, Lisbon and Lannon.
The big guest of the 1991 reunion was Lillian Hornig Lieschke Butler at age 97. Born in 1893, she attended Sixteen School beginning at age 5 in 1899. Her home was two long blocks north of the school. Lillian lived well beyond 100 years old.