The triangle crossroads of the village of Lannon in the town of Menomonee, and wedged between Menomonee Falls and Sussex, has a rich history of events prior to and during the Great Depression, which made its ways into a columnist's reporting tidbits in the local newspaper of that time, “The Menomonee Falls News.”
Following are various selections:
May 10, 1928 — "The strike at Red Granite has been settled and workers who came to Lannon to work are now returning to the Red Granite stone quarries,” and "the Lannon quarries are expecting a lot of work this summer.”
“Ray James has moved to Lannon.”
"Lannon Fire Department is going to have a dance on May 18 at the Lannon Hall.”
“Al Feltes of Lannon (Lannon Dodge Dealer) is reporting several sales this past month from the Lannon business.”
“Seth A. Pollard (Lannon WWI veteran) came out from Milwaukee to visit friends and family in Lannon and Colgate.”
Sept. 6 1929 — A Lannon citizen went on a wild goose chase over a misunderstood telephone call. The intended call went to the Lannon Fire Department instead of a wrecker ... a little act of courtesy and a string of circumstances was the cause of considerable commotion in Lannon, "about 11 o'clock last Saturday night."
If the driver of a Ford Coupe hadn't backed into a ditch, or if the Guis family had retired early, or if Al Feltes had not decided to visit his neighbor that evening, or if the telephone line hadn't been unusually noisy, or if Fred Gissal hadn't misunderstood the telephone operator, etc., the good citizens of Lannon would not have had their night's rest disturbed, and the Lannon Volunteer Fire Department would not have had a chance to demonstrate just how fast they could respond to a night alarm.
It all started when a car backed out of their drive too far and fell into the road ditch across the street, and could not get out. So a call was made, garbled ... the result was the misunderstood phone call for a wrecker went to the Lannon Fire Department and they fell out en masse, waking up the whole countryside — “fire.”
The sirens, lights, cars chasing the fire call and all for nothing but an old Ford in a little ditch — for this, a night of sleep for the community was lost, and a lot of explaining as to why the three calls got mixed up for only a Ford in a ditch and fire report. A couple firemen volunteered to lift and push the stalled car out of the ditch before they headed back home to explain to their wives what the commotion was all about.
March 22, 1929 — Judge C. M. Davidson of the Circuit Court filed his decision on the petition by some residents of Lannon to incorporate with the village of Lannon. The judge ruled that the only business in Lannon was quarries, and incorporation of Lannon and the quarries would throw the quarries out of business. The petition was denied.
Dec. 20, 1929 — A new petition to incorporate Lannon, which was 300 acres and had a population of 339, into a village was signed and presented to the circuit court. The signers were John Flanagan, Albert Walters, Albert Feltes, John Wessner and Cuono Quartaro. The issue was the town of Menomonee would not install highway lights in downtown Lannon. Included in the petition was the post office, two stores, a meat market, barber shop, garage and only one stone quarry.
A side benefit was Lannon would furnish the 40 county board of supervisors for Waukesha County.
By Jan. 17, 1930, the circuit court of Judge C.M. Davidson had recognized Lannon's petition to incorporate as a village, and now it was a binding vote of the 339 citizens to OK it. The resulting vote by residents was 116-6 (no one ever figured out who cast the six "no" votes). The streetlights had decisively won.
The Feb. 14, 1930, Menomonee Falls newspaper reported that Lannon during its Feb. 11 vote put these men in power: President Al Meade, with Meade also serving on the Waukesha County Board of Supervisors, John Wessner, Ted Gollner, Otto Rossman, Cuono Quartaro, Louis Gissal and William Mueller. The elected clerk was Charles Delaney, assessor Glen D. Harmon, treasurer Frank Berschens, Justice of the Peace R.W. Frawley and constable Percy Schultz.
Meanwhile St. James Catholic Church, always considered as part of Lannon (it remained part of the town of Menomonee) lost its priest of 24 years, Rev. Paul E. Scheidel to a parish in Sheboygan.
In other Lannon news, March 14, 1930, the Lannon Cinch Club has recently met at the home of Mrs. Hilger. Prizes were won by Mrs. Schneider, Pohl and Hecker.